Friday, April 30, 2010

Jitters

Five days to go, just five more until my arthroscopic left knee lateral release with chondrocyte biopsy. To say I have the pre-surgery jitters may be an understatement, sleep has been nonexistent this week. Every time I lay down for a nap, I think of more things I need to be doing like, putting the cougar print contact paper on my cane.I have set up my physical therapy for the next day after surgery, thank you Top Rehab. for accepting me back.I may just be their favorite patient, that they see three days a week.I really don't understand why one must go to physical therapy the next day, all they do is move your leg in impossible positions causing extreme pain and double doses of pain medicine.They measure, ask questions, like you can answer them being hungover from surgery, and the weirdest thing of all, they watch you walk on crutches, multiple times down a hallway. Maybe it's only me but pain medicines, surgery, and crutches is not a good time to be observing someones gait. Just saying.
My crutches are polished and awaiting their time of need, continuous passive motion(CPM) machine is on its way. The CPM is a French made machine that moves the knee without causing pain. It has a sheep skin like padding to hold your knee in place, that is very deceiving at first feel. Day one after having the microfractures and after my leg being locked completely straight in a brace all night, the feeling of unlocking it and the softness and movement of the cpm was near paradise. This went on for about 6 weeks for 8 hours a day, and after about the second week, that soft sheep skin like padding felt more like steel wool!
The back of my leg was callused up from the cpm and from the brace.Actually, for several months after the brace was removed, when I got out from a hot shower the outline of the brace could be seen all down my leg. Everybody has their battle scars mine just happen to be in the shape of a leg brace.
I am unsure of how long i'll be on crutches, hopefully not long.I'm very uncoordinated on them plus being incredibly out of shape doesn't help the endurance for the long walks into Wal-mart, when all the handicapped parking spots are taken.So, we drive around the parking lot for 20 minutes before admitting defeat, then park about 2 miles back with the big rigs. When you get inside all of the wheelchairs are gone, so I grab a  motorized cart to get shampoo,not knowing, someone didn't charge the battery and it stops in front of the douche aisle. Help! my cart is stalled and my crutches are in the front of the store.After a couple of minutes of freaking out, I draw the attention of the 98 year old door greeter, who tells me to get up and he will show me how to drive this cart. Apparently, he can't figure out why i'm on the cart. Hello! Full length leg brace! So to prevent this from happening again, I found my own wheelchair at a yard sale, mind you I will use it as a prop for The Loo and Verne Show, when i'm finished. Now, just to find elevating wheelchair legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment