Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The beginning

This change began in September 2009, it was time for my arthroscopic meniscus repair or so I thought.  After multiple magnetic resonance imaging (MRI's), X-rays, nothing showed to be wrong with my knee. But with physical exams and everyday activities the pain was excruciating, so my Doctor and I along with second opinions concluded that I had a meniscus tear that was not seen by the MRI.  Alright, simple enough procedure, couple weeks of recovery, then back to work. Boy, was I wrong.
The day of surgery
Wake up 5am, shower, no food or drink.
Upon arrival at the surgery center a wonderful nurse came in and explained the who's and the what's, then started my IV access. 20 gauge Right hand. Now I am ready for my Versed. After more pleasantries and numerous times being asked "Left knee, correct?" Dr. Looney came in and autographed my leg. Yes, my Doctor's name is Looney, some say very appropriate for me, but I digress.
In rushed the anesthesia team, one quick push of Versed and it was lights out for ole, Loo, here. I was so glad they didn't ask me to count backwards, math never was my thing.
I awoke a couple hours later with a major headache and knee pain. Hmm, Dr. Looney never mentioned this brace that extends from my thigh to my ankle.Nevermind, the brace,where is my bra? I cannot stand up without it! A few groggy moments later and I was back to reality, well as much as one can be full of morphine, and requested my clothes. My idea of fashion is not a hospital gown. I quickly  dressed and was given my crutches to move into the nice recliner.I'm not for sure, but I think they were in a hurry to get rid of me.
The brace was finally explained to me, no meniscus tear, actually a very healthy one, but I had a chondral defect which resulted in a chondroplasty of the medial femoral condyle. The microfractures had a 4-6 month recovery. Great, glad I have physical therapy set up for the next day. After a few more minutes in recovery, I requested a sandwich and to go home, let's just say I didn't get the sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment