Saturday, May 15, 2010

Stiffness

My knee was a little stiff today or I should say a lot. Waking up I had no pain, but that first step looked very much like an infant, I stumbled halfway across the room.I quickly grabbed my walker and pushed on towards the bathroom. After the first five steps, I walk somewhat normal. The swelling seems to have increased slightly but that's from being weight bearing. I'm continuing ice and elevation therapy, several times daily. The new knee brace is causing increased pain, to the point that I have kept it off most of the day. The problem is it pushes on the kneecap laterally to medially and since I had a lateral release, it's putting pressure on the cut. Also it goes across two of the incision spots which are still very tender.
I have been doing my physical therapy, twice daily religiously. The building up of quad muscles seems to be the most important muscle group to work on. I get through most of them with little pain, except the short arc quad. That's where I put a rolled up towel under my knee, hold a ball between my thighs (no illicit jokes will be made here), and raise my leg up. The pain is where my defect is but is increased since surgery. Not sure if this is normal or I should discontinue that exercise. I also have extreme weakness doing heal and toe raises. To the point I have to hold on to something. Last thing I need to do is end up in the floor, I would hate for the Calvary of twelve fire trucks and 2 ambulances and six police cars to show up. Since I know them all, youtube and Facebook would have mobile picture overload.
I had a very unexpected surprise today. My sister called and said she had somethings to drop off. Alright, I brace myself, one never knows what she has stumbled across. She is always on the lookout for a good deal, so I was excited. A few minutes later she walks in with wheelchair feet props, not the elevating kind, but props none the less and a potty chair. Never had I been so excited to see those three items.
She had been to her inlaws and mentioned my predicament and it just so happened a certain organization with secrets supply these items to folks in situations such as myself.
I am truly grateful for their generosity and my sisters desire for good deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment