Monday, August 23, 2010

Worse than Microfracture

0630 I was awake and happy with how my knee felt considering the brutality of the surgery. My ROM brace is locked out straight, swelling is incredible but somewhat masked by the Ted stocking and dressings. My toes are a familiar betadine orange.
Around 0430, the nerve block began to wear off, no increase of pain just tingling from the nerves waking up. By 0830 a new pain began not the constant ache around the osteotomy but a burning stabbing pain around the medial condyle. Soon it became unbearable and I became a slobbering, crying mess. No position of comfort could be found, so I had a phone call made to Dr Looney, within two minutes his office had returned the call and arrangements made for the hospital.
I was begging for relief, the knee felt like someone was hammering a hot poker in it. I took my alloted dose of pain medicine, then I took more. Thankfully, the ambulance came quickly, yes an ambulance! My sister was working that day and who better to come get me? Anyway, I new morphine was in my near future, what I didn't know was that 8 mg, later I would still be in agony.
Nearly, two hours later I was in Williamson medical center emergency department. Dr Looney was in surgery, so Dr Calendine met me in the ED. He is a colleague of Dr Looney and extremely nice to me.
The staff quickly unwrap my leg and check for compartment syndrome, as I was having tingling and numbness but that wasn't the cause. Soon, I received dilaudid and phenergan for my troubles and a quiet peace came over me. Except for my snoring.
I ended up staying 3 days in the hospital with high doses of potent painkillers coursing my veins.
The moral of this story: ACI with osteotomy is worse than Microfracture, its not an outpatient surgery, and make sure you get a prescription for something stronger than Percocet.

No comments:

Post a Comment