Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Seems Real Now

Last Friday, Dan Gates, the surgery scheduler, called me from Vanderbilt Bone and Joint, to officially schedule my surgery & post-op dates. My pre-op appointment is Friday, yes I know I have already been through pre-op but their policy is only good for thirty days and it is just beyond that, so I'm going again. Dr Looney, wants to consult and prep a little more about the aci, as I still have many questions. You must be thinking, how many more answers does she need? Well detail oriented as I am, I can never have enough answers. Even simple things like, how soon can I shower? Will I need a bed pan? Who's going to change it? Right on up to the bigger ones, how long of a recovery? How much pain? What type of osteotomy? I'm not necessarily a creature of habit just one who plans a lot.
I even emailed my Genzyme liasion to confirm they received all required paperwork. I got a prompt reply from Mr Brooks and all is set and final phase of cell growth is underway.

I am on fire this week! Feeling better than I have in months & taking care of business. I even found a new primary care physician named, Dr Meredith Schwietzer. She is really great, we got along well and we seem to share the same ideals, as far as, natural, alternative styles. I made the appointment for a couple of reasons, 1 its been years since I've had a good primary care physician and 2. To tell someone other than my family about my depression and insomnia. Frankly, they're tired of hearing about it and I'm tired of talking to them. Lol!

Dr Schwietzer, not only listened but was very compassionate and offered great advice. I chose not to take any antidepressants or other medication. I hate taking medicine of any kind, even though sometimes it is appropriate. I have had a different mindset this past week and just hope it continues.
Via her scales my weight gain is 65 pounds not 50, I'm going with mine. I also had the standard blood & urine tests to give everything a good once over. Especially, my thyroid, I would like to blame my weight issues on it being under active, over my stuffing food in my mouth.

I also wanted to get a good wellness check before surgery, incase anything is out of whack. Like say a thyroid. Lol my bloodwork should be back before pre-op. She also wanted to do an Ekg but I was quick to point out I recently had one. Remember, I was exposed like I was preparing for a playboy photoshoot. Somebody is still having nightmares I'm sure! On well learn how to perform a 12 lead, while leaving a person their dignity. I'm almost certain that nurse used to work at an obstetrician & gynecologist office.
Enough about that, with all the hustle and bustle of Dr visits, the aci surgery seems real now, as do the challenges I will face over the next 18 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment