Monday, August 23, 2010

This is no ordinary surgery

My alarm clock went off at 0345 and I picked myself up after falling from the bed. The lack of sleep sucks and yet I'm still running late. I quickly lather up with antibacterial soap while my stomach growled. I should have ate up until midnight.
Finally, we are on our way to Vanderbilt Bone and Joint Surgery Center for my 0600 surgery time.
After checking in I waited only minutes to be called back for prep. When she said, "you again,"wasn't you here just, last month? Now I recognized her, nose ring and all. Not last month but May, I said. Then I went to deliver a urine sample.
We go through the familiar checklist, why are you here? Left knee, who's your Dr? Looney. Next, is the IV and last minute instructions with Dr Looney, while the anesthesiologist prepared the femoral nerve block. A short time later the bright lights and cold steel of the surgery room came into view. No fun and games now as I was immediately put to sleep.
I woke up several hours later in horrible pain, my postop nurse was quick to put the pain medicine to me. After, 16mg of morphine and 3 of dilaudid and a few Percocet I was able to go home.
The rest of the night was uneventful as I was able to get out of bed by myself.
That would soon change.

No comments:

Post a Comment