Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Physical Therapy

Yesterday was my second physical therapy (pt) appointment. I had Andrea Turner, as my therapist at Top Rehab Services. She is extremely nice and helpful and our personalities click. Something that works for me as I like to joke and harass the therapists. Did I say harass? I meant encourage them to keep up the good work. It went very well as my knee wasn't as stiff as I expected. I had been doing quad sets, ankle pumps, and heel slides since the day shyer surgery. I did more of those, along with knee cap mobilization, straight leg raises and about 10 other exercises. I almost forgot, I did 5 minutes on a bike without resistance. After we suffered through all that, it was time for the real pain. What I like to call electro shock therapy. Its a small device that sends electric currents to your muscles via electrodes applied to various parts of your leg. It causes a contraction of these muscles, in which I must hold a ball between my knees and raise my left leg.
Now at the level I would like the device set, would have been no pain, for it would have been off. But Andrea, being the dedicated professional she is, insisted on setting it to her liking. Therfore, resulting in 15 minutes of teeth clinching and perhaps other things.
Now to say that Andrea, wasn't gracious would be lying. I showed up 15 minutes late because I didn't calculate how much longer a sponge bath takes, and not a word was said. Maybe they were hoping I wouldn't show?
Why am I still taking sponge baths? Well I thought I had a deal and someone was going to give me a shower chair but they flaked and I'm broke, so buying one is out of the question and I almost broke my neck standing on one leg. So for now its a good ole whore, I mean sponge bath.
Physical Therapy wasn't all I had up my sleeve. I was feeling good so I attended my nieces softball game. Big mistake!I could never get comfortable on the bleachers, plus it felt like walking a mile on crutches. I finally hobbled back to the car, where I nearly fell from exhaustion.
Once I made it back home, I took off the brace and Ted stocking, only to reveal a hugely swollen knee with many aches. Great, goes right along with the pains in my arms and chest from using crutches.
I immediately iced it down and woke up with slight swelling other than normal post-operatively. Oh yes, my niece and her team won 13-4. So my advice would be to take it easy, especially, after pt.

No comments:

Post a Comment