Friday, September 3, 2010

two weeks

Today, marks two weeks out from surgery. I must say I feel much better than last week. I have almost cut out the pain meds. My appetite is back, I'm still debating whether that's a good thing or not.
Yesterday, I finished the last dose of Lovenox. That's a subcutaneous blood thinning, injection to the love handles.i I was put on that instead of Aspirin, due to spending three days in the hospital after surgery.
I also finished up the worst tasting medicine in the world, Keflex! I had to enjoy that due to a defective bone saw that superheated and caused a burn next to my incision site. It is healing quite nicely, and should he completely healed in about a week.
I felt well enough this weekend to head out to a local Arts and Crafts fair. Big Mistake! Aside, from the lack of handicap access, immense pain occured from not having my leg properly elevated.

I have my third physical therapy session, today at Top Rehabilitation we should be doing measurements on my leg to check swelling and range of motion. I've been diligent with ice and elevation and kept edema to a minimum.

I go see Dr Looney, Friday as he is keeping a close watch on the burned area. I plan on discussing the many pains my leg has and its interference with my precious sleep. I understand that having your knee cut open and your shin cut and moved over, that pain is inevitable but its interupting my time in the CPM.
Its rather strange, I never had any pain caused by the CPM after microfracture. Its cramplike pain in my foot and calf and a tightness in my knee. I can only go to 40 degrees in the CPM for another week, so I'm really at a lose other than the pain is just normal.
I am still unable to do straight leg raises. I just don't have the muscle control to do them. I can move my leg from side to side but not up.

Final Musings: with two weeks down, I do feel better. Take one day at a time and don't think about the 6 weeks until weightbearing, if you do the walls will close in.

No comments:

Post a Comment