Friday, September 3, 2010

physical therapy day 2

Thursday, was my first physical therapy session at Top. I met with Andrea, for an evaluation, Monday. I was a medication withdrawing wreck with the shakes and nausea, she was kind enough to get me a cold pack for my hot flashes.
We did the usual measurements of edema and range of motion. She also, measured my burn, 1.5cm x 1cm just in case any of you care.
My range of motion was only 33 degrees flexion, doing a heel slide with 108 degrees extension.
My patella moved easily, as I had already been doing self mobility exercises at home.

Thursday's, session had greater success. My flexion had improved to 60 degrees with a sitting heel slide. I can't remember extension but it was improved too. I started the usual stretches, hamstring, gastronomic, soleus. Quad and Hamstring sets. And plenty of ankle and other isometric exercises. I'm still unable to do straight leg raises. The muscle control isn't there.
Andrea, has the great task of deciphering the orders between Dr Looney and the Carticel rehabilitation guidelines. There is separate procedures for different lesions etc. I have a combined rehabilitation using the Femoral Condyle, trochlea, and distal realignment guidelines.
I'm to follow the trochlear/patellar protocol combined with the distal realignment protocol. My flexion and ROM goals are 75 degrees by week 3. CPM 8-12 hours a day (0-40 degrees) for 2-3 weeks. Plus my daily routine of motion exercises.
Andrea, stretched my leg before putting me on a "low voltage" electrostim machine.

I did have increased pain after therapy during the night. I must admit my leg felt significantly better after pt.

No comments:

Post a Comment