Monday, June 14, 2010

Greater Detail

Its time I explained my diagnoses in even greater detail. I try to document my journey, with humor, honesty, and emotion and to tell it in such a way that everyone can understand. So here goes:
When I had my first knee surgery in September of 2009, I was 25 years old and in great health. My preoperative diagnosis was left knee pain, possible medial meniscus tear. My postoperative diagnosis: chondral defect left patella, grade 3 defect medial femoral condyle.
The procedures: Medial Femoral condyle chondroplasty,
Abrasion arthroplasty and microfracture of the patella.
I had grade 2 change of the central trochlea region of the patellafemoral joint. Grade 4 change along the medial aspect of the patella at the junction between the medial and lateral facet. This measured 1cm x 12 mm.
My patella tracked well, so a lateral release wasn't done. I had no plica or suprapatellar adhesions or synovitis. I had no meniscal tear and no chondral injury laterally. The femoral condyle defect was 2cm x 5mm.
Now, are you confused? Me too! But don't worry, I'll explain it all.

A chondral defect is a lesion of the hyaline cartilage. Imagine eating chicken leg, the gristle at the end, is the hyaline cartilage.I had to throw that in for all you chicken eaters! lol! Chondroplasty reshapes the articular cartilage, while abrasion arthroplasty penetrates the tissue beneath the articular cartilage. This activates cells to form fibrocartilage. Which is less strong.
The microfracture is tiny fractures made in the bone to create clots and activate stem cells to grow new cartilage. This procedure was invented by Dr. Richard Steadman of the Steadman- Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado. So says google.
My surgeon, Dr Colin Looney, did a fellowship at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic. I am very confident with his skills.

I know I've thrown a bunch of words out, but I like to know the details and figure some of the people reading this, feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment